Originally the sight of the Ocean Bluff Hotel 1872, the current hotel was designed by architect John Calvin Stevens and opened in 1914 as The Breakwater Court. The room and meals rate was $5.-10. per day, depending on view and if you wanted a private bath.
A historic hotel that's a true family affair
It was in 1935 the Boughton family bought The Colony Hotel in Delray Beach. In 1947 George Boughton bought the Breakwater Court to compliment the Florida Colony Hotel. The north - south marrying of two hotels with partial year seasons was common to historic hotels. The hotel name was changed to The Colony Hotel and opened for the summer season in 1948. The next year the beach across the street was purchased and in 1954 the Glen Haven hotel was acquired and renovated, now known as the East House. Two additional buildings included with the Glen Haven purchase the cooks dorm and chef’s house.
During the winter months the Hotel is under constant renovation and particular attention is paid to preserving the original style and beauty of this grand hotel. While furniture is reupholstered and walls papered, the framework of both remain, making the Colony Hotel
a true Historic Hotel of America.
The Colony Hotel strives to provide personal gracious hospitality and service with sensitivity to the environment. We acknowledge our interdependence with all living things, and we operate with the belief that ecological, economic, and cultural sustainability require equity and balance.
The Colony Hotel donates $1 for every night stay to the Kennebunkport Conservation Trust since 1995. The programs initiated by the Colony Hotel include solid waste reduction, material reuse, recycling, energy and water conservation. The education and communication campaign continues to strengthen our efforts to make environmental awareness second nature to our employees and guest. The following are some ways the Colony Hotel departments are working to be environmentally responsible: